Year 4 2020 - 2021
Mrs. Calderbank - Class Teacher
Miss Sheedy - Learning Assistant
Year 4 is an exciting year were the children are beginning to prepare for the Upper Juniors. Learning new skills, to enable the transition into year 5 to be a smooth and seamless one. In Year 4 the children are always encouraged to strive for excellence both independently and as part of a team. There are two members of staff working within Y4: Mrs. Calderbank is the full-time class teacher and Miss Sheedy is the Learning Assistant.
Year 4 is a wonderful, happy year were the children are able to grow, progress and head towards achieving their own true potential, whatever that may be. The environment is a safe and caring one where children’s individual talents and achievements are recognised and built upon. We have a Maths area and a class Library were the children are encouraged to develop their independence by accessing the resources when necessary. We are fortunate to have access to computers outside and in our classroom, which we use daily to enhance our learning, through accessing My Lexia, TT rock stars and Mathletics. We are also have weekly access to the computer suite were all children are able to learn how to create power points, debug algorithms and are introduced to data handling and understand concepts such as, What is cyber-bullying? .
English and Maths:
English and Maths are taught daily and are often incorporated into other lessons. The activities we complete range from practical to written and they are always differentiated to cater for the different learning needs of all our children. Our English lessons will be set around books such as 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone’, 'Oranges in No Man's Land' and ‘The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe’. We use the text to explore grammatical features and to provide us with inspiration for exploring and writing various text types.
We learn about lots of exciting topics throughout the year, which we are certain all of the children will really enjoy. Some of the exciting topics that are studied include Italy, Earthquakes, Romans, Boudicca, States of Matter, Electricity and comparing Lake Garda to Lake Windermere. To enhance our learning, we aim to take part in exciting trips, such as visiting the Lake District and PGL. Click on the 'Curriculum Overview' document, for more information.
Important things to remember: -
- PE is on a Wednesday morning – please remember to bring your outdoor PE kits as PE will take place outside.
- Homework is set on a Friday and completed by the following Wednesday –homework will be set on TEAMS as an assignment, to enable the children to access at their convenience. An A4 homework book is sent home to enable your child to complete homework tasks. Do not send this book into school. Photographs of the homework can be uploaded on to TEAMs or tweeted, to show homework has been completed. We will monitor homework completion electronically via TEAMS.
- Homework will consist of: reading at least 3 times per week and recording on Go Read, accessing My Lexia, Mathletics and TT rock Stars and spellings to learn for their weekly spelling test.
- Home reading books will be collected in on Mondays and given out on Thursdays. This follows government guidelines and allows the books to be quarantined for 48 hours before going back into circulation. If your child forgets their book on a Monday, they will have to keep the same book until the following Monday. Books can only be returned on Mondays and only given out on Thursdays.
- Water bottles - please send in a clean, full water bottle each day. Due to Covid restrictions we cannot fill up your child's bottle. Please send enough water to drink throughout the day.
- Please send a healthy morning snack for your child to enjoy during morning playtime (no crisps).
Year 4: News items
Year 4: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4: Gallery items
Year 4: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display