Year 1 2021 - 2022
Mrs Meehan – Class Teacher
Mrs Dodd - Class Teacher
Miss Veron- Learning Assistant
Miss Sheedy - Learning Assistant
Mrs Meehan is the Year 1 class teacher on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with Mrs Dodd teaching in Year 1 on a Tuesday. Miss Veron is the Learning Assistant in Year 1 in the morning and Miss Sheedy is the Learning Assistant in the afternoon.
In Year 1 we believe that children learn best when they are having lots of fun! All of the lessons are interactive, exciting and engaging and involve the children in as many ways as possible. The children also still have plenty of opportunities to learn through play while accessing our wonderful areas of continuous provision. We have areas such as a reading corner, maths, writing, construction and role play in both our indoor and outdoor classroom. We believe that a great resource can be each other so discussions and questioning are encouraged in all aspects to allow the children to learn from others to build up their own understanding. The Year 1 curriculum has been carefully thought out and planned so that lessons follow a sequence which builds on prior knowledge and prepares children for future learning. Children are given regular opportunities to revisit learning and recall important knowldge, facts and skills.
Each child enters Year 1 at a different stage; some are ready for the National Curriculum, whereas others will require a little support to achieve the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile objectives from Reception. To continue the learning journey, we take assessments made in Reception and identify the next steps for each child. We see every child as an individual, not just a year group. We understand that every child learns in a different way and has different interests and it is our aim to adapt our teaching to suit the children. We encourage their independence throughout, the year meaning we support them to become resilient pupils who thrive in the classroom and beyond.
What do we learn?
We have daily English, Mathematics and phonics lessons where we can work on our core skills. Our English is focused around a book that we are reading, as a class, and we produce some fantastic writing of our own linked to this work. Some of the recent books that we have looked at have been Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin, The Naughty Bus by Jan Oke and Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. We pride ourselves on our broad and balanced curriculum including subjects such as science, history, geography, art, DT and music.
Learning beyond our classroom
In Year 1 we love taking the children's learning beyond the classroom and go on many trips and visits throughout the year, as well as welcoming outside visitors into the classroom to extend our experiences. These range from learning about the local area by walking around Garswood to having a visitors into school to help us learn about local history. We also visit Chester Zoo to learn about the differences between animals and humans. Year 1 also have the opportunity to take part in Forest School sessions for a term led by Mrs Meehan who is a trained Forest School Leader.
Important things to remember: -
- We do PE on Tuesday afternoons –please ensure both indoor and outdoor kits are in school.
- Homework is set on a Thursday and completed by the following Thursday – the homework will be set on TEAMS. An A4 homework book will be sent home for your child to complete homework in if needed. You do not need to send this book back into school. Photographs of the homework can be uploaded to TEAMs or tweeted to show homework has been completed. We will monitor homework completion electronically.
- Homework will consist of: reading at least 4 times per week, completing 2 sessions of RM Maths and Teach Your Monster to Read per week.
- Water bottles - please send in a clean, full water bottle each day. It is important that your child has a water bottle in school with them each day. Please send enough water to drink throughout the day.
- A healthy afternoon snack will be provided - please send a healthy morning snack for your child to enjoy during morning snack time (no crisps, cakes, sweets or chocolate etc).
Files to Download
Year 1: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 1: Gallery items
Year 1: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display